When Crockpots Happen to Good Cooks


At least once a year the Crockpot calls to me.  I shouldn't listen.  I know better.  But still I head the invitation.  I guess this is the fate of a culinary optimist.  Beef Tamale Crockpot Pie sounded like perfect Sunday afternoon football food, especially with our lawn covered in snow and my better sense blinded with hope. 

Beef Tamale Crockpot Pie is neither pie nor perfect.  A strange quivering mass of cornbread formed (what can only be described as) a jaundiced elephant's liver on top of the shiny beef chili mixture.  Is this normal?  Do Crockpot aficionados conclude successful slow cooker sessions with a pot full of yuck?

If you hear rustlings next year as I pull the slow cooker from its place on the back shelf, please stage an intervention.

Comments

frimp said…
Thank you for being so responsive to my post, but, I was hoping for a GOOD crock pot meal.
Unknown said…
That sounds truely disgusting. I understand your aversion to crockpots. There are aonly a couple things I ever use them for. One is to throw in a small chicken with 1/2 stick of butter and about 1/4 c of worschester sauce. This was Buck's go-to recipe in college! The other is BBQ pork loin. That's it.
patrice said…
I agree Elegant Designs! BBQ pork and any other roast works well in the Crock, probably because they call for few ingredients and don't turn pink.

frimp - for a "GOOD" Crockpot meal check out my latest post. This might be something you can both enjoy preparing AND eating.

Popular Posts