A Tale of Two Pizzas

It was the best of pizzas, it was the best of pizzas... no wait...

It was the best of pizzas, it was the worst of tomatoes, it was the age of sage, it was the age of diminished basil, it was the epoch of harvest, it was the epoch of decay, it was the season of Autumn, it was the season of Pre-Winter, it was the spring of comfort, it was the winter of envy, we had everything left from the garden before us, we had nothing from the pantry before us, we were all going direct to taste heaven, we were all going direct to glutton’s hell - in short, the period was so far like the present period (and in fact is the present), that some of its prolific bloggers insisted on its being read, for instruction or for entertainment, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
My apologies to Dickens.  But this weather conjures up memories of 10th grade and the night I attempted to read the entire book twelve hours before our test on A Tale of Two Cities.  This weekend I attempted to layer the remnants of our garden on two lovely pizzas.  Unlike digesting an entire Dickens' novel in a single setting, loading our fading bounty on top of some dough proved to be a tasty success.   (It also allowed us to clean out the refrigerator while celebrating the waning season.)

Pizza One: Roast acorn squash (sliced thin), red peppers and onions, green chili, garlic, and mounds of sage (in olive oil with lots of salt and pepper) until caramelized.  Layer vegetables and chicken sausage (I used Aidells Roasted Garlic & Gruyere Cheese) over thin crust with provolone and parmesan; bake in HOT oven.  

Pizza Two: Toss green and yellow beans with several tablespoons grated ginger and lots of basil (Thai works best but use what you have). Top thin crust with beans and Wisconsin white cheddar and parmesan; bake in HOT oven.


It is a far, far better garden that I harvest, than I have ever grown; it is a far, far better pizza that I eat, than I have ever eaten. 

You may commence groaning.

Comments

stephaniesays said…
It's funny, I remember being scolded once for not giving myself enough time to read a book for 10th grade English...looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree :) haha. Of course, honors English was all about preparing us for college when it's virtually impossible to ACTUALLY give in-depth attention to any of the assignments.
stephaniesays said…
oh p.s. the pizzas look AWESOME
patrice said…
you were "encouraged" to keep up with homework precisely because I did NOT! I learned my lesson the year I got kicked out of honors for not doing my homework and had to work myself to death to get back into it the next trimester.
frimp said…
Next time try a "Bleak House" inspired pizza!
patrice said…
OK frimp. I am up to the challenge... TBC...

Popular Posts