Birthdays and Old Friends

My first view of ICON on the Mall

Happy Birthday Blog!  You are a sassy little one year old today.  Just as with a child, you are no longer mine.  You have a mind of your own, and an agenda I try to obey.  I wonder often whether writing this blog is a time waster.  I beat that drum, "Too many voices, not enough ears.  Too many blogs, not enough eyes."  But still, I am compelled to keep this diary of sorts.  Too my 2 1/2 faithful readers: Thank you!  I hope you are entertained enough to continue reading for yet another year.

This blog started as an attempt to document my experience on the University of Minnesota ICON Solar House team.  We competed last October in Washington D.C. and ours was the little house that wowed the crowds.  As the team cook, I created two dinner party menus that focused on iconic Minnesota foods.  During the competition I cooked in the house and served members of competing teams.  It was a once in a lifetime experience; cooking on the Mall and being a part of that village.  I remember saying goodbye that final night of the dinner party competition, with the lights of ICON on full display.

So imagine my delight last week as we were driving on campus, and there was my old friend.  Now on display at the Bell Museum, I knew she was going up again but had no idea I'd see her so soon.  It was like running into someone so unexpectedly and happily.  I hope those of you in Minnesota will get a chance to tour the ICON house.  It will be open to the public through May.   

ICON Solar House at the Bell Museum
Photo credit: UFacultyStaff on Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts