Salmon Burgers


When I was a kid my world was blissful and complete on nights when my mom made Salmon Croquettes.  She served them with a lemony pea sauce, and the house filled with smells that called me to the table.  Mom used those big cans containing every possible portion of the fish, and I loved nothing more than the crunch of the delicate bones and deep fried breading as they played perfectly against the tender creamy roux-thickened salmon meat.  As an adult I am not so keen on eating bones and I tend to purchase more salmon fillets than canned. 

Saturday evening T was at his fantasy football party, so I took advantage of my night home alone and fooled around with my food.  These salmon burgers are the love child of Mom's Croquettes and Marcus Samuelsson's black bean and crab burgers (from Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa).

Bacon-Salmon-Tomato Burgers (BST)
Makes 2 large burgers

6 ounces salmon, raw and chopped coarsely
Good handful of chives, dill, basil
Celery salt, salt, and pepper
Mayo
Mustard
Lemon zest and juice
Breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
Red pepper, finely chopped
Shallot, finely chopped
Jalapeno, finely chopped

Combine all ingredients (use portions that work for you - a little of this, a little of that) to form a dense mixture; do not over mix.  Form two patties and roll in additional bread crumbs.  Chill for half an hour.

Bring large pan to medium high heat and add a good bit of olive oil.  Cook burgers until done on both sides.  You can cook the bacon alongside the burgers.  When burgers are pretty and golden brown, serve them on toasted buns with the bacon, thick slices of tomato, and mayo (add some Old Bay and lemon zest).

If you are dining alone, as I was, save the second burger for breakfast.  Top with a poached egg and fall in love with leftovers.

Comments

Popular Posts