From flub to fabulous: Zucchini-Parmesan Waffles

I've been writing a lot lately about my kitchen flubs. Somewhere in the mix was that rotten spiral veggie cutter that I just couldn't seem to master. But after a few trials and blunders, I have finally figured out how to whittle my squash into pretty ribbons.

Our Sunday brunch was inspired by my success with the Veggetti and by fellow food blogger Amanda Paa's "Smitten with Squash." Zucchini-Parmesan Waffles are a riff on Amanda's Summer Squash Pancakes. I'll be writing more about Paa's delightful new cookbook in a later posting. Until then, I'll be congratulating myself for mastering the fine art of zucchini spirals by griddling up another batch of these savory waffles.

Try these waffles warm with butter or honey-butter. Use leftover waffles to make grilled cheese sandwiches; great with Gruyere or mozzarella, tomato marmalade, and a bit of basil!

Zucchini-Parmesan Waffles
Makes 4 to 5 waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon fresh gound nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 cup grated or skinny spirals of zucchini, squeezed in paper towel to remove extra moisture
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese
1/4 cup Greek-style yoghurt
1 large egg
1 tablespoons melted butter, unsalted

In large mixing bowl whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. In separate mixing bowl stir together zucchini, buttermilk, cheese, yoghurt, and egg. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined. Stir in butter.

Heat waffle iron and cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions.

Comments

yayy, I'm so glad you figured out the veggetti!!

Popular Posts