Rhubarb Mostarda Pizza



I love those food moments when I ask, "How many carb-free days, weeks, or months will I need to endure to make up for this meal? Or this bite?" I knew I'd be playing with danger when I read the post our Minnesota Food Bloggers' spunky yet exquisite leader Stephanie Meyer wrote about Chef Matt Morgan's Rhubarb Morstarda recipe. She Tweeted that it paired well with bacon, and I gladly relinquished control of my precious calorie counting. That evening I started the mostarda (mustard seeds need to soak overnight), and the following weekend my grill was charring up a pizza topped with Swiss cheese, the mostarda, bacon, more cheese (moz and parm), and fresh basil.

Always a sucker for mustard seeds, I've never seen a recipe that calls for soaking them overnight. I loved the resulting texture (other recipes I've played with call for boiling or frying the seeds). I halved Chef Matt's recipe and substituted horseradish powder for the dry mustard.




Rhubarb Mostarda
Adapted from Chef Matt Morgan

Makes about 1 cup
1/4 c. mustard seeds
1/2 c. water
1 c. chopped rhubarb
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons horseradish powder (Penzey's)
2 teaspoons water

Put mustard seeds in a medium bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup water; cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Drain mustard seeds and set aside.

In a large bowl, toss rhubarb and sugar together, then spread onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until sugar has melted and rhubarb is tender.

In another large bowl, whisk together dry mustard and water. Stir in the rhubarb, then the mustard seeds. Cool to room temperature and serve, or cover and chill. Can be kept refrigerated for up to two weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts