Words Become Stories

There is a great mystery and powerful music playing that we don't 
hear and stories full of magic, so many stories that life isn't 
long enough to tell them all.   --Garrison Keillor

Occasionally I worry that I will someday run out of words to use, stories to tell, or <*gasp*> recipes to develop. Then I remember what good old Garrison Keillor said years ago, and I pick up my pencil and carry on. More words and another story and one more recipe appear. Mr. Keillor is right. Words that become stories are mystery, magic, and music. How lucky we are to write and read them together.

But that doesn't mean we writers don't occasionally dip into a trough we've already drunk from. 

This week's Called to the Table column puts a new spin on an old recipe. Thai-style noodle salad is one of those quick and healthy meals that refreshes us whether we are experiencing the dead of winter or the sometimes ungodly heat of August. I also coin a new phrase that I am sure will catch on across the nation. Ever heard of food narcissism?

Comments

Mrs. L said…
For some reason it won't let me comment on the Called to the Table post...so I'll say it here...I'm glad I'm not the only one who has uncontrollable urges to add duck fat to everything!
patrice said…
Is duck fat the new bacon? :)

Popular Posts