Adventures

When I was a kid I stalked our local newspaper guy. Already an avid television viewer, I believed that Lou Grant was at the helm of all news stations and papers. I fancied myself Lou Grant Junior, and knew that once he heard my pitch, Mr. Deis would hire me to be his cub reporter for The Gaylord Hub.

For months, every day after school I knocked on the office door and tried to climb up the side of the building's walls in order to peek through the big glass block windows. The day Mr. Deis finally answered my knocks, I was breathless with nerves and excitement. "I'm here to be your new cub reporter," I announced. I gave him my ideas about reporting on what was happening with the elementary kids on the playground and at lunch, as well as the going-ons in my neighborhood. This was really good stuff, and I came cheap.

Mr. Deis looked me up and down. I had the feeling he was annoyed, like my dad got when I talked during a Twins broadcast. "Come back after college," he told me, then shut the door.

Nearly thirty years later I had the opportunity to interview Mr. Deis for a paper I wrote on the future of community journalism. He was wise and witty, and very much like the Lou Grant of my dreams (minus the gruff).

Two weeks ago I returned to Gaylord where I picked up a few things: Canadian preserves in a can (who knew?), cute new rainboots (from the kids' section), and at long last a column in The Hub. I wont be writing about my friends in school or neighborhood gossip. Rather, my column will be about food and food traditions, much like what you read here. I'll post the weekly articles on a companion blog, Called to the Table.

Photo credit: thegalaxy.mn

Comments

Popular Posts