Happy Birthday Blog!


Any blogger or writer who claims they don't write to be read is kidding you and probably themselves. We write because of an inner compulsion. But the same compulsion that drives us to write also riddles us with insecurity about our writing. We like our own voices or we wouldn't carry notebooks and pencils in our pockets and purses, and we want to assume the rest of you will like reading us (or at least engage when you disagree with our words; the best writers can pen disagreeable ideas in such a manner that thoughtful intercourse results). To be read is success.

This little blog begins her Terrific Twos today. Happy Birthday to her! I started writing Cultural Construct as an experiment. I wanted to record the adventures that always seem to find me, document the 2009 Solar Decathlon, and entertain myself. Over the months I've gained some new readers, including family and friends, but also strangers who are kind enough to let me know they've enjoy their visit here.

Looking back at my first post, I am reminded of another reason I began Cultural Construct:
Yesterday I wandered through my favorite places in Minneapolis and experienced that contented "all  is right within my little world" feeling.  I am finally, if temporarily, focused on becoming what I want to be when I grow up.
It took years before my Oprah moment happened; when it occurred to me that people would be happiest pursuing that careers they wanted as children.  At 5 years old I decided to become Lou Grant, a nun, and a cowgirl.  Once a person opens themselves up to the universal plan everything else starts to fall into place.  Of course, you need to do your homework in case karma decides to throw a pop quiz.
Plugging along, I am (sort of) content in the search but getting itchier and eager to plunge into my Lou Grant-nun-cowgirl dream. Two years later, and I am two years closer. Some exciting things are on the horizon. I'll return here, as always, to chronicle the ride. C'mon Universe! Let's go! My pony is saddled and I'm wearing spurs!

Comments

patrice said…
Giddy yup stephaniesays!
frimp said…
This is the best and most entertain blog I read! Could you find some time to blog a little about Star Trek?
patrice said…
Sure frimp. I am sure I can find a little space Captain Janeway around here somewhere...

Popular Posts