Coffee Talk


There are a few things I do not do well in the kitchen. I cannot make a bar to save my life. And I make terrible coffee. Thankfully, our neighborhood is littered with decent coffee shops.

As sure as the season's change, so too do the popular flavors. We move from Frappucinos to cappuccinos. All this talk of Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Pumpkin Pie Espresso makes me a little squeamish. First, pumpkin pie spice and coffee do not belong together. That pairing is a mongrel marriage at best. Pumpkin pie should always be served on the side of coffee, not in it. Second, it isn't yet autumn, and I am still jonesing on my iced coffee.

I used to be a Caribou girl, but in recent years switched to Starbucks, although I still feel silly using the Starbucks size lingo. The baristas at our local know my drink so well that it appears on the pick up board before I've finished paying: short (12 ounces) iced coffee in a Venti (24 ounce) cup, extra extra ice. If I dare to go all crazy and order a shot of sugar free vanilla it messes with our symbiotic relationship.

I'm not sure what my next seasonal coffee will be. Something hot and light roasted, and small (i.e. short). Or maybe a single shot of espresso served with a sugar cube and lemon twist. Whatever the cup, I can assure you my autumn-into-winter coffee will not come with a shot of pumpkin pie.

Comments

Mrs. L said…
I'm still dealing with the fact that I can't get unsweetened decaf iced coffee at Starbucks. I used to get an unsweetened decaf latte but they no longer make them (they all have that syrup). I now have to order a Cafe Americano with nonfat milk. But I too, make terrible coffee so I go where I can!

Popular Posts