A Few of my Favorite State Fair Things

An out of state friend, impressed by our citizens' collective State Fair obsession, wrote the following song to profess her fascination. Sing it to the tune of Sound of Music's Favorite Things. Note: the girl from accounting she refers to is me. Back in the day I pushed passed mingling children to be first in line for cow milking, and had an annual milk drinking contest with a friend's children (which I won every year until her boy become a teenager and could finally drink me under the table). I do love all things dairy.

Return back here later today to get the Scavenger Hunt list!

Fav Things
Words by Miranda
Cornmeal on hot dogs and
Sour kraut on lefse
Kool-aid on pickles and
Battered kielbasa
Deep-fried white cheese curds and
Sweet onion rings
These are a few of my favorite things

4H and home ec and Garrison Keillor
Cow barns pig sties and huge big four wheelers
There is just one thing I don't understand
Why are skinny girls with beer gutted men?

Pink buttered popcorn and
Tart apple fritters
Deep fried bananas and
Shishkabob critters
Lumps of white sugar balls won't make you sick
What else could we fry on a stick?

A girl from accounting
Is milking a cow
One teat, no four teats, oh I've got it now!
I might as well milk her cuz I'm truly blessed
I beat all the kiddies in the milk drinking contest

I love the people! I love the freak show!
But one thing I'd like to say...
Step aside princess and all your court
I am the true queen of the Milky Way

Random but Important (and illustrated) State Fair Musings (follow along with the photos below):

I love getting my weird flavored lip balm from the StarTribune each year. 
This year they are doling out a pair: ketchup and mustard.

I also love that this is the fourth year of the Minnesota Wine Hall, 
but don't believe I'll ever pay $19 for 
a few sips of wine embedded in a cardboard cut-out of Minnesota. 

Every year I reach for my lefse and lingonberries. 
Roll them around some steamy meatballs 
and enjoy the breakfast of State Fair champion(s)!

The coupon book lured me to purchase a $2 Parmesan pretzel. Next time I'll do salt. 

 
 Gambling. At the Fair?! Why?

My favorite free-read is the Daily News, 
which updates employees and volunteers on goings-on. 

One single Sweet Martha cookie is all I need to get me to next year. 
More than that is vulgar unless followed by a cold milk chaser.

Pat the bunny. 

The weekend's Mr. Bubble experience almost made up for the lack of Euro Bubbles. 

Corndogs, the Doggies of the Wild West, and the line-up 
of terriers and toys in the pet building aren't the only canines in town. 
Hush puppies are a must, either from the alligator stand 
or the walleye booth inside the food building.

Comments

Popular Posts