Fair Blogging and Birds


Today was Day One at the State Fair.  Right away, I noticed a theme. Everywhere I turned were birds. Those of you who know me well may recall that I am not a bird lover. But nothing bad ever happens at The Fair, so I embraced my inner poultry. I met two chickens "resting" on the floor of the Eco Building, and later saw them marching in the parade. In the poultry barn I checked out some pigeons. Gander Mountain provided Bird Heads to lucky Fair goers and hundreds of them sported colorful ducks squatting on their heads. Even this year's trash art is a bird.

I ran into Giggles, one of our more famous (and infamous!) Minnesotans early this morning. He was mingling with the folks at FM 107.1 and after I snapped his photo I got a hankering to try his new salad-on-a-stick. He demoed the item on The View this summer, and I was one of the first paying customers to give it a go. The wild rice salad is plump with orzo, dried cranberries, almonds, and cashews. The sauce is on the sweet side, but balances nicely with the tomato-mozzarella-basil sticks.

At the Renewing the Countryside kitchen, Whole Foods' Chef Ami prepared grilled peaches, honey butter, and a delicious hazelnut graham cracker. She kept the audience laughing, and showed me a new trick: removing peach pits with an ice cream scoop! I busied myself washing dishes and occasionally serving platters of the canapes.

Following my shift I wandered. After all that bird watching, I had a craving. Lunch was a sandwich from Turkey To Go with brie-cranberry. I wasn't able to eat the sandwich fast enough to prevent the bun from soaking up the turkey juices and ended up with a soggy mess. Next time, I'll share.

Random musings: The kids showing rabbits and pigeons were fabulous. Those 4-Hers impress me more every year. Did you know that Mr. Bubbles was born in Chaska Minnesota? He introduced himself to me in a shed, then waved to me as he passed by in the parade. I'm a little smitten. And hey StarTribune! What's the deal with no free papers this year?!


Check Back tomorrow morning for Friday's and Weekend Fifth ANNUAL STATE FAIR TRIVIA CONTEST Questions

Comments

Popular Posts