Sweet Dreams


This weekend I resided in the kitchen, testing recipes for my upcoming Swedish immigrant food class.  I thought these cookies would be similar to Melting Moments, but instead they remind me of the Havreflarn (Oatmeal Wafers) available at IKEA.  Straight out of the oven they are delicate; once cooled they are both crisp and chewy.  I didn't have ammonium carbonate in the pantry, and substituted with baking powder.  I'll let you know how they differ once I get my hands on the preferred leavening agent, ammonium carbonate.

Drömmar (Dreams)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (or 1/2 teaspoon ammonium carbonate; preferred)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (or bitter almond extract; preferred)
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes

Cream sugar and butter; add remaining ingredients and mix until a smooth dough forms.  Chill one hour.  Roll into small, 1-inch balls and baked on greased sheets at 300 degrees for 18-20 minutes.  Remove from pan while still hot.  Cookies will be quite delicate before cooling.

Comments

Popular Posts