Tree Sap

Ensign Nellie Forbush said it best, "I'm as corny as Kansas in August."  Schmaltz, mush, and all that is goofy gush is ever-present on our ever-green.  Occasionally we'll change things up and do a theme tree, like the year of the edibles when we decorated with ginger cookies, cranberry, and popcorn.  But most years our tree reads like a sentimental memoir.

  The tin foil star is a remnant from the year our parents divorced
and my sister made this topper to adorn Dad's tiny tree
 which always stood on the bar in his smoky apartment.

When I lived overseas, my first friend in Japan tried to teach me
 how to make origami ornaments.  I failed at paperfolding, but still cherish
 the three lamé camels that friend made for me.

T and I married on New Years Eve 2001.  
A dear friend gave us these magnetic bride and groom
kissing fish to honor the occasion.

A Christmas tree at our reception was decorated
 with these ornaments, which became keepsakes for our guests.

I have a sister in Georgia who sent this cotton angel years ago. 

A gift from my daughter, who was a budding artist even as a child.

A friend's daughter gave this to me. 
I am still not sure what it is,
but I hang it every year.  Monkeys make me smile.

Our tree isn't a fancy as a showroom centerpiece.  It rates high on the corny scale, and gets more beautiful with every sentimental bauble we collect.  Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular Posts