Ginger, Bourbon, Sriracha Chiffon Cake


In honor of the birth of a most fantastic daughter many years ago, I made her a cake using three of her favorite ingredients: ginger, bourbon, and Sriracha.  The flavor combination proved to be as brilliant as she is.  One comment from Birthday revelers, "Tastes like a Red Hot."  Happy Birthday, Stephanie!

Note: This recipe is basically halved from a regular chiffon, but it still fills a 10-inch tube (angel), just doesn’t rise as high.  All ingredients should be ~70 degrees if possible, but this is not critical.

GINGER BOURBON SRIRACHA CHIFFON CAKE
Preheat oven to 325.

Sift together then set aside:
1 – 1/8 cup cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat until smooth:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 egg yolks
3 ounces bourbon
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
1 ½ teaspoons Sriracha (after tasting this cake, I’ll add more next time)
About 1 teaspoon each nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves
Zest from 1 lime
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add flour to egg-oil mix and beat. Set aside.

In clean bowl beat 7 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. Add ¼ cup sugar as whites start to foam. Continue beating until whites are VERY stiff.

Gently fold whites into flour-egg-oil mix until well incorporated, but taking care to keep air from whites.

Pour batter into ungreased pan and bake ~1 hour. Turn cake upside down and cool completely.

Meanwhile, prepare syrup (I don’t measure this - just kind of eyeball) of sugar and enough water to make a syrup. Heat to simmer and stir until all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, pour into measuring cup. Add enough bourbon to make 3/4 to 1 cup liquid. Pour half over cooled cake (poke holes in the cake with a chop stick to help it absorb). Once liquid is absorbed, remove cake from pan and place top side down on serving plate. Pour remaining syrup over cake.

Frost with 7-Minute Frosting (I flavored the frosting with bitter almond extract from Sweden instead of vanilla, but vanilla would be great on this cake also).

Comments

stephaniesays said…
i KNEW i smelled almond when i took the top off the cake!!! that was an AWESOME substitution! seriously, best.cake.EVER!
patrice said…
so glad you liked it! will add to my permanent recipe repertoire.
Kristine said…
Hello :)

I came across your blog while searching for pictures of brunost to show some of my american friends. I just have to say it's a very interesting blog and it was fun to read the brunost entry. It made me think about when my great grandmother made brunost and served it warm with fresh bread. Good memories :)

I'm from Norway by the way, keep up the nice blog entries!
patrice said…
Thanks Kristine! So glad you found the blog! Where are you in Norway? Next week we are making lefse with our Norwegian-American friends! Always one of the best days of the year.
Kristine said…
I live in a small town called Molde in Møre og Romsdal. That sounds great! Are you making tykklefse or the regular flat one? Today I'm making something called prim, I don't know if you have heard of it? If you haven't you should try it some time!
patrice said…
Kristine, you have intrigued me. What is tykklefse?! What is prim?!
Kristine said…
You'll have to exuse me for answering late, I'm in the middle of all my exams for this semester. Tykklefse is simular to the original lefse but it's thicker and has more flour in it. Prim is simular to brunost but the process to make it is shorter and with that it gets a creamy consistency and a sweeter taste. It tastes wonderful together with bread :) My father makes homemade prim from melting brunost together with storebought sour milk and sugar, and some times he adds raisins. Now that's a treat I love comming home to :)

Popular Posts