Cardamom and Bitter-Almond Krumkake


I bought a krumkake griddle on sale about ten years ago.  Having never made krumkake before, I enlisted the help of K who was raised on Norwegian baking traditions.  I claimed helplessness and giggled nervously as she burned her fingers while rolling each cookie.  K wasn't here for this batch, so I had to learn to roll and burn on my own.  But it was worth it.

Cardamom and Bitter-Almond Krumkake
Beat until light:
2 eggs
Add slowly and beat until pale yellow:
2/3 cup sugar
Melt and add slowly:
1/2 cup butter
Stir in until well blended:
1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fresh ground cardamom
1-2 drops bitter-almond extract (substitute 1/4 teaspoon regular almond extract)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Bake in heated krumkake griddle by heaping tablespoons about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes.  Roll immediately as each cookie is removed from griddle.

Comments

Popular Posts