Halloween's Little Orange Box (and other minor changes)


There were two staples to my kid-Halloween experiences: I always dressed as a "bum" (a.k.a. homeless person) because it was cheap and easy for my mom to pull together (but oh, to be a princess, just once!), and I always carried with me that special Little Orange Box.  Bag of treats in one hand, Little Orange Box in the other; I worked the neighborhood over for chocolate, peanut chews, and pennies for UNICEF.  At each door, adults pulled out their bowl of goodies and an equally full bowl of change.  "Trick or Treat for UNICEF."

That was my generations' first act of volunteerism.

I haven't seen a UNICEF box at Halloween since I held one at age 10.  Although every year as we prepare for our Trick-or-Treaters I hope I will need to grab my little piggy bank to set it alongside the candy.  Maybe next year?  Did any of you see kids with UNICEF boxes?

Comments

stephaniesays said…
that's the strangest thing! i've never even heard of that! cool though...and smart!

Popular Posts