Pre-Halloween Haunting: My Candy Corn Hangover


Hi.  My name is Patrice and I am a Candy Corn-oholic. 

I am addicted to a long list of foods that have great power over me, both physically and emotionally.  My reaction to them is so intense that I purposefully avoid them, saving consumption for special occasions.  There are the donuts and Cheetos I save for my birthday celebrations.  I indulge a little more frequently in bread products, as evidenced by my multiple pizza postings on this blog, although I am aware of every bite and savor every decadent bite.  Potato chips?  If T dares to bring them into the house I cannot be held responsible for my actions, and he might discover me standing in the kitchen, arms elbow deep inside the bag seeking out every last crumb.  For these reasons I avoid the middle aisles in the grocery store, where most of the processed goodies lay in wait.

Then along comes the September-October Pre-Halloweening when every checkout display screams with celebratory treats.  I can walk past the pumpkin-shaped Reese's.  The orange and brown peanut M&M's don't tempt me.  I easily ignore Hershey's Assorted Miniatures.  But throw that Candy Corn, Indian Corn, or (god help me) Brach's Autumn Mix and I lose control.  This weekend I succumbed to the call of the Candy Corn and greedily ate my way through an extra-large bag (combined of course with a can of Beer Nuts).

Sure, I woke up with regrets: the embarrassment of what I did, not remembering whole moments during the feeding frenzy, and the morning shame of coming face-to-face with that empty bag.  Worst of all: a dizzy nauseous bloated headachy Candy Corn hangover.  Oh Candy Corn, what have you done to me?

Judge me if you must.  We all have our weaknesses.  My name is Patrice and I am a Candy Corn-oholic. 

Patrice's Favorite Autumn Indulgence
1 22-ounce bag Brach's Autumn Mix
1 (or 2) 12 ounce cans (original) Beer Nuts

Comments

stephaniesays said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
stephaniesays said…
OH DUH!!!! BEER NUTS!!! THOSE are what I remembered you serving with candy corn but for some reason I remembered them as red!!! Okay, now I have to go buy a new bag of candy corn and a thing of beer nuts...I've been eating the autumn mix with just regular lightly sea-salted peanuts this whole time!!! Hahaha.
patrice said…
lightly salted nuts aren't bad either, but Beer Nuts are the preferred variety (when and if you can find them!).
Annika said…
Love this post! And our similarities are really starting to creep me out. I too have a whole post dedicated to my love of junk food, particularly of the Cheeto variety. :)
patrice said…
Annika - which do you prefer: American Cheetos or Swedish Cheez Doodles?

Popular Posts