National Novel Writing Month!

I've been waiting to participate in November's National Novel Writing Month since I first heard about it a few years ago. Now that school is behind me, my time is finally here!

Anyone who has ever taken a summer writing class with the University of Minnesota's Split Rock Arts Program appreciates what it feels like to devote uninterrupted "Me Time" to her craft.  The courses are designed so that students make writing their number one priority for an entire week.  For a nonprofessional writer, this is not a common privilege.  Imagine an entire month of such license!  That kind of freedom is what NaNoWriMo aims to provide.

The Task: Write a 50,000-word novel between November 1 - November 30.  Material must be new - no using prior storylines or text - although you may do preliminary research, make notes regarding characters, and outline plot.

I am so excited about my topic I can hardly refrain from writing the prologue in my head as I lurch through the month.  To get through the rest of October I'll be researching dairy farms and industry, interviewing former Dairy Princesses, and basking in the anticipation of an entire month of selfish writing.  Those little hints of my topic are all you'll get for now, and come November expect to see a few dairy recipes scattered throughout this blog (No, I am not writing a cookbook, although food will tangle the characters' memories and action).

If you have a hint of interest, even if you are not a writer, I encourage you to sign up for NaNoWriMo!  Authors say that the only difference between them and everyone who wants to be a writer is that the authors sit down everyday and WRITE.

Comments

stephaniesays said…
i've already gotten 3 of my friends to sign up! and 1 of my friends declared november "MiMeMo" [Mixed Media Month] because she thinks she's a better mixed media artist than writer but likes the idea of attempting to accomplish a creative challenge! haha.
patrice said…
How is she going to combine the mixed media with her writing? fascinating!
stephaniesays said…
oh no no no - she's not going to be writing at all. She's going to do her OWN thing, "Mixed Media Month", while everybody else is doing National Novel Writing Month! Haha.

Popular Posts