Mexican Sour Gherkins

Chilled Cucumber & Mexican Sour Gherkin Soup

I met this Gherkin at the Fair and she was introduced to me as a cucumber-tomato hybrid. We ran into each other again at the farmers market a few weeks ago, and I gladly asked her home to supper. Turns out she is a heirloom known by many aliases: cucumber nut, mouse melon, cucamelon, and “sandíita” (little watermelon). A few years ago I recall hearing some New York chefs enthusiastically describing this "miniature melon" and all of the great new dishes they were creating to showcase its unusual flavor and look.

The best web article I've come across describing this tiny treat is here. Mother Earth News's report about Mexican Sour Gherkins dated back to 2005. I am glad the Gherkins are finally past their Minnesota debut. My coworkers and T all gave the Gherkins rave reviews. They have thick skins and meaty but juicy innards, and taste tart with a hint of melon that hits your tongue late in the chew. They have the same sort of green almost grassy snap as tomatillos. Pop them like candy all day long, add them to salsa and salads, blend them in chilled soup. My experimentation didn’t get as far as pickling or cooking with them, but next year…

Comments

Popular Posts