Random August Musings

Green Things that will soon become dinner...

With the wind and storms we recently experienced our garden is losing a lot of produce before their time.  Then apparently in a glitch that I blame on the heat, my god the heat, our refrigerator is now a sentient being and in an act of rebellion froze all of our chilled produce yesterday.  The only edibles in our kitchen are unripe. Why not make lemons into lemonade, and green tomatoes into tempura? 

After a visit to my Aunt Hazel (currently convalescing in an "old folks' home" - remember that word?  I can never remember the updated P.C. term) this weekend, two thoughts keep creaking about in my head.  The first is that we are never too old to flirt.  One of my Aunt's new friends is a handsome gentleman in his 90s who, behind coke bottle bottomed glasses, winks and ogles playfully.  They share glances over the lunch table, and have developed a nice friendship.  The second is something my Aunt reminded me of during our visit.  She said "Grandpa used to always say that in order to get you out of school; we'd have to burn it down."  I wonder if he is pleased that, for now, I am again, temporarily, out of school and there was no need for fire.

This week is all about clean slates.  I will visit the market with a pocket full of change to replenish our vegetables and fruits.  I will send my final draft thesis to the binder.  And I will find, once and for all, a look to this blog that makes sense.  Meanwhile, time to heat up the oil and make some tasty fried green tomatoes.

Comments

Popular Posts