Got Root? Beet Week(end) Begins!

Every New Year's morning I indulge in my favorite meal: latkes and blinis topped with lots of gravlax and caviar.  Traditional latkes are made with grated potato, egg, onion, and flour.  Pan fried in a shallow bit of oil (I add butter for flavor), they are fantastic topped with sour cream or crème fraiche, and apple sauce.

Swedes call potato pancakes rårakor (and serve them with a bit of lingonberry).  I call them tasty regardless of which root you use, so with the influx of beets right now I thought I'd try my hand at this beet and carrot version of the flat pancakes. 






Beet, Carrot, and Onion Rårakor
Grate one raw beet, two raw carrots, and one small white onion in bowl.
Add one egg, salt and pepper, and a tablespoon of flour.
Fry in hot oil and butter in 1/4 cup cakes, over medium heat (be careful not to burn the beets).
Drain on papertowels, season with salt, and serve with sour cream and fresh herbs.

More beet love to come!  On deck: Chilled Beet-Berry Borscht and Beet-Ricotta Pizza.  What are you doing with your beets this year?

Comments

stephaniesays said…
oooh, that sounds and looks pretty tasty...I don't know about Beet-Ricotta pizza though...that's a lot of rich flavors competing! I bet it'll be super attractive, though.

Popular Posts