Burrata and Other Love Stories

Poached Egg or Cheese?

I live in a house of cheese crazies. Even my cat (the blonde one) loves cheese. When I see something unfamiliar at the cheese counter I befriend it and bring it home for all of us to enjoy. So when I saw the pretty green wrapped package of imported Burrata I asked my cheese monger about it. She told me about the fresh rich mozzarella combined with cream and I nearly tossed the parcel into my basket. Then I saw the price and gently returned the $17 item to the display.

“There is a great domestic version right here,” the cheese lady told me. I brought the $6 water-packed container home with me for a delightful one night stand. Maybe we can even turn this relationship into something long term.

Burrata is the love child of mozzarella and ricotta. Mild and creamy, it needs a little bump of flavor, but pairs perfectly with both savory and sweet.  I am told that burrata is Italian for "buttered" which describes the flavor and texture of the cheese innards.  It is made with fresh mozzarella that is shaped as a round pocket then filled with cream and bits of mozzarella curds.  We spread it with nectarines, basil, balsamic, salt and pepper, and olive oil over seedy crackers. Each bite was equally beautiful and flavorful, and I would have photographed these pretty little bites for you but we devoured them too quickly to grab a camera.

Tonight at IKEA and tomorrow at ASI, Midsommar celebrations will find me enjoying sunshine and sill (herring). In Sweden, Princess Victoria marries her love Daniel tomorrow. The day Lady Di and PC tied the knot I was at Breezy Point “Resort” with the family I nannied, and the children and I spent our entire day glued to the television. I won’t be quite that obsessed, but I do plan on following Princess Victoria’s nuptials online as they are available.

Glad Midsommar!


Comments

Popular Posts