East Meets North: Quick Pickled Rhubarb



I've gone a little rhubarb crazy, but am determined to take advantage of everything in its own season.  I am also determined to master Japanese pickling techniques as the assorted pickled vegetables are usually my favorite things in a bento box. The similarities between Japanese and Swedish foodways continually surprise and delight me. This recipe is inspired by both. 

Using my limited supply of precious high-acidity Swedish vinegar I made a 1-2-3 pickling solution (named for the ratio of vinegar-sugar-water that goes into it) and doused chopped fresh rhubarb in the hot liquid.  If you are using American vinegar, you can cut back on the amount of water.  While the rhubarb cooled I finished making dinner then served these quick pickles with beef pot roast and atop sautéed spinach.

Quick Pickled Rhubarb
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
Salt
2 cups fresh chopped rhubarb

Bring 1-2-3 solution to a boil so that all of the sugar dissolves.  Remove from heat and add rhubarb.  By the time the mixture cools the rhubarb is ready.  If there are leftovers they will keep, refrigerated, for at least a week.

Comments

frimp said…
Lots of rhubarb lately...what about oxilates?
patrice said…
Oxalates are overrated. Want some beets and spinach with that? (This is a fear-mongering free zone ha!).

Popular Posts