I.H.V. Monday: Watercress and Mango Salad


Who knew I would have to travel to Japan to learn to make a decent lasagna?  It was 1986 and an Italian girl took me under her wing.  She taught me the joys of a good slow cooked red gravy, and how to layer pasta, meat, sauce, and cheeses.  Saturday I thought of those days in Tokyo as I grated nutmeg over egg yolk, ricotta, and Parmigiano-Reggiano then gently tucked the mixture between pasta sheets and garden tomato sauce.  The result, as always: a casserole of love.  And a bit of leftover Parmigiano-Reggiano.

I went a little nuts in the produce section and purchased every available green.  The watercress was nearing its expiration date on Saturday, as was the mango.  Drizzled with balsamic and olive oil then topped with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano it was a perfect peppery sweet sidekick to the lasagna.

Comments

Popular Posts