Pecan Bacon Brittle (No Photo Yet)

Had the pleasure of making Pecan Bacon Brittle this weekend.  I adapted the recipe from Saveur which calls for cashews.  As both markets that I frequent sold out of cashews last week and since I still have pecans leftover from my Thanksgiving pie debacle, it seemed appropriate to use the pecans.  The results were FANtastic!  In fact, I brought the brittle as a hostess gift to a party this weekend and it was quite a hit.  Please give it a try especially if you are bacon-loving and yet a sceptic.  I will post a photo later as I am between cameras.  (Actually, I've never owned camera so I guess I am pre-camera.) 

Pecan Bacon Brittle
2/3 cup raw pecans (about 4 ounces)
8 ounces bacon; roasted crisp, drained on paper towel, and broken into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon of bacon drippings
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon sea or kosher salt

Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Roast pecans on baking sheet in the oven, stirring occasionally, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly on a cutting board, then coarsely chop; set aside.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, coat the paper with a thin layer of the reserved fat, and place the baking sheet on a cooling rack.

Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and stir until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Cook, swirling the pan occasionally (do not stir), until mixture is deep amber and registers 350°F on a candy thermometer, about 10 to 15 minutes. Immediately remove the pan from heat.

Carefully add pecans, bacon, and salt to the caramel and stir to combine. Immediately pour mixture onto the center of the prepared baking sheet. Let sit at room temperature until hardened, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely, then break into shards.

Store at room temp in container for up to 2 days.

Comments

stef said…
Can you tell me how to "candy" pecans? I tried this weekend but they still have a bitter taste. I sauteed in Balsamic Vinegar and then stirred in sugar. I need these for a salad. Please help.

Popular Posts