Summer red

I freely admit that I am a wine dolt. While I appreciate an expensive bottle of Pinot Noir or Cabernet, I can't taste enough of a difference to justify purchasing anything over $20, and even then only for a very special occasion.

This past spring I took a wine class through the University of Minnesota's College of Continuing Education and our instructor, Jason Kallsen, introduced me to the concept of dry rather than sweet pink wine. My wine world entered a whole new phase of experimentation. Now that summer is here and I find myself reaching for nice dry rosé more often than ever, usually around the affordable $10 a bottle mark. 

For three short weeks in Minnesota we enjoy strawberry season. Happily, this weekend I discovered that strawberries and rosé marry well. What to do with the leftover berries (if you have any)? Macerate them for a few hours and add to everything from salad, ice cream, and even that inexpensive glass of rosé for a fun sangria.

Macerated Strawberries
1 quart strawberries, halved
1/4 cup Cointreau 
A few tablespoons of your favorite liquor (brandy, rum, aquavit)
A few tablespoons of maple syrup
1 dropper of orange flavored bitters, such as Bittercube 

Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl; set aside to macerate for a few hours. 


  

Comments

Popular Posts