Midsommar

Another Midsommar has come and we've danced around the maypole, eaten lots of potato salad and herring, and enjoyed a glass (or two) of aquavit. Summer is officially here, and we are ready to absorb every single moment.

My favorite asparagus and berry farmer assures me that there are two weeks left of strawberry season, so I am trying to tamp down my tendency to hoard. I've got no time for canning this year, so I've found other ways to enjoy the freshness of early summer. Macerated strawberries are perfect over ice cream and in cocktails. Strawberry salsa, heavy on the heat, is great with chips and tucked into tacos. Toss diced strawberries with lots of chili peppers (use a variety of hot and sweet), onion, pickled shallots, cilantro, and lime juice. A hit of salt and pepper to finish and you've got a great start to dinner.

 

Comments

Popular Posts