State Fair Diaries: Coen Bros. versus State Fair quotes
This has been a particularly colorful year for State Fair eavesdropping. Lots of controversy (rapeseed Bill Cosby and a naughty corn dog removed from the seed art exhibit; a protest, cancelled parade, and possibly spurious Black Lives Matter t-shirt sales) and yet the juiciest quotes I hear come from the 4H barns.
It is difficult to differentiate Minnesota speakers from characters in a Coen Brothers movie, and the Minnesota State Fair is full of inspirational quotes. Can you tell where these came from?
1. [dad asking vendor about the balloons he bought] These blow up into funny shapes and all?
[vendor] Well no... unless round is funny.
2. [woman to friend] Someone broke that kid.
[friend] Naw, she aint broke. Just her spirit is.
3. Oh, I just think I'm gonna barf... Well, that passed. Now I'm hungry again.
4. I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
5. Well, yah, you know, we covered that whole thing with limestone and you couldn’t even tell there was something buried there.
6. Mind if I sit down? I'm carrying quite a load here.
7. Well, the little guy was kinda funny-lookin'.
8. Is this a... what day is this?
9. Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
10. Say, her cakes are very competitive.
11. I'm staying. Finishing my coffee.
12. He just ate - he didn't finish! He's goin' to McDonalds instead of finishin' here.
13.[not Glen] Need a beer, Glen?
[Glen] Does the Pope wear a funny hat?
14. Due to the spring in her rib shape I am willing to forgive the flatness of her rack. However I am OK with leaving her in the hole for third place because of the sharpness of number 1 and the steepness of her hips.
15. You got any more of that good sarsaparilla?
1. Raising Arizona; 2. MN State Fair near beer garden; 3. Fargo; 4. The Big Lebowski; 5. MN State Fair in Merchandise Mart; 6. Fargo; 7. Fargo; 8. The Big Lebowski; 9. The Big Lebowski; 10. MN State Fair in Creative Activities; 11. The Big Lebowski; 12. Fargo; 13. Raising Arizona; 14. rough adaptation from MN State Fair at meat goat testing; 15. The Big Lebowski.