Fenugreek greens

As an early adopter of any and all curries, I fell in love with the sweet fragrant, almost licorice (some describe it as maple), taste of fenugreek the first time I made an eggplant tomato curry recipe from an old Deborah Madison cookbook. While I've used the powdered seeds in the past, I didn't come across fenugreek greens until last week at the farmers market.

I asked the farmer how she uses fenurgreek greens and she told me just to use them as vegetables and add them to stir-fry. "Only use the leaves," she told me, and then mimicked the act of stripping leaves from the stems. Anju Kataria, who spoke about Indian and Scandinavian spices at ASI last week, recommended tossing cooked potatoes with the greens. Since we are in the middle of grilling season I took her advice and added the greens to boiled new potatoes to serve as a side with grilled chicken.

For a fenugreek lover like me, the potatoes were amazing. For T, on the other hand, not so much. The pungent greens are an acquired taste.

Fenugreek Greens and New Potatoes
2 pounds of new potatoes, cooked
1 cup fenugreek leaves, discard stems
1/4 cup green onions, diced
2 tablespoons garlic scapes, diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon turmeric

Toss all ingredients together in saucepan and heat over medium-low until butter melts and greens wilt. Flavor with salt and pepper and serve warm.



Comments

Popular Posts