Pizza Dough Revelation

If you've hung around me or my blog much you are likely aware that I am a total pizza fascist. It isn't a trait that I wear proudly (Obviously I have some deep inner pie issues. Perhaps I suffered pizza trauma in my youth. Perhaps I'm just really bossy in the kitchen.)

Last week a good friend of mine, with full knowledge of my rigid pizza politics, had the audacity to serve grilled pizza at her dinner party. "I have this new recipe that I'd really like to try out on you," she told us.

When we arrived at the party the first thing that hit me was the intoxicating smell of yeast and olive oil: a combination that always brings me back to the best job I've ever had, making pizza back in college. My dough rarely smells so warm and inviting.

Our host instructed each of us to shape our own pizza, grill it, and top it. The dough was pliable and dense, easy to form, and cooked up as bubbly as the stuff served at my favorite local Neapolitan place. I could hardly wait to bite into my pizza as it finally came off the grill. The chew was amazing: a snappy crisp outside and soft airy interior. It was a pizza dough revelation!

Kitchn.com calls their recipe "The Best Pizza Dough for Grilling" and I will not argue with their claim. I adapted the recipe by swapping out a few cups of all-purpose flour for whole wheat, and I also added a bit of sugar to the yeast. Pizza perfection!

Pizza Dough for the Grill
8 servings

1 2/3 cup warm water
1 to 2 teaspoons yeast (1 if you are making the

dough a day ahead of time, 2 if you plan on using it the same day)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups bread or all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons salt

Combine water, yeast, and sugar in small bowl and set aside until foamy; about 5 minutes.

In large bowl of stand-up mixer combine flours and salt. Add wet ingredients and knead the dough on low speed with a dough hook for 5 to 7 minutes, or knead by hand on the counter for 6 to 8 minutes. When kneaded, the dough should form a smooth ball, feel smooth to the touch, and spring slowly back when poked.

Cut the dough into 8 pieces and form into balls. Grease a baking pan lightly with olive oil or baking spray. Place the dough balls in the pan and turn them over so they are coated with oil. Cover the pan with plastic wrap.

To make pizza the same day: Let dough rise at room temp 1 to 2 hours or until doubled. Use immediately or refrigerate for later use. Dough can be refrigerated up to three days.

To make pizza the next day: Place covered pan immediately in refrigerator and let rise overnight or up to 24 hours. To use, remove dough and let sit at room temp for at least 1 hour.





Comments

Popular Posts