The Reigning Queen of Quick Pickles makes slaw

As the reigning Self-Appointed Midwestern Queen of Quick Pickles, it is my duty to prepare pickles and slaws several times each week and to add them to practically every meal we eat. They brighten up salads and sandwiches, cool any heat, and add crunch and color to everything. Quick pickles are as diverse as the ingredients we use, and are perfect platforms for seasonal goodies. Currently, however, there are no such goodies available in Minnesota, so root vegetables and sturdy greens continue to swim in my quick pickle brine.

Am I the only one who tastes marshmallows when I bite into a slice of jicama? That chalky starch thing that happens with the tuber has me craving s'mores every single time I eat them. It is probably a good thing, then, that jicama is one of those vegetables that I forget about. As root vegetables season is slowly waning, I reached for one of the sturdy fellas and brought him home for a slaw to serve with grilled fajitas.

Made using the same technique I use with quick pickles, this jicama slaw tends to be quite wet. If you prefer a less tart slaw, use less vinegar.

Jicama Slaw
1/4 cup sugar or honey
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
Juice and zest of 1 large orange
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
1 grated garlic clove
1 medium-sized jicama, peeled and grated
1 carrot, grated
1/2 red pepper, sliced thin
1 - 2 chili peppers, diced

In small saucepan combine sugar and vinegar; simmer over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool. Add orange juice and zest, ginger, and garlic. Toss with remaining ingredients, season to taste with salt and pepper, and chill at least 30 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts