Mixing and Masking It Up for Halloween

This morning I put on my Keyboard Cat costume and prepared for another Halloween incognito. Apparently my likeness to the infamous musically inclined kitty was spot on, as Orson the Cat hissed at me and retreated under the dining room table. I removed my ears and soothed him with a Greenie chew.

If I get similar reactions from coworkers today, I will sooth them with Count Chocula Party Mix and Mummy Pizza.

I always considered myself to be an especially talented trick-or-treater, except for the year I used a grocery bag to collect treats and it rained. Wet grocery bags are not efficient candy carriers. And I was the weird kid who actually liked the peanut butter taffies and Bit-O-Honeys. I'd trade seven mini Snickers for a handful of Candy Corn

Trick-or-treating is democracy in action. It is an exercise of hope and trust. And costumes are a magical entrance into the self we keep secret for the rest of the year... unless your parents dress you as a bum with a soot-rubbed face. I recall that annual costume over at Called to the Table today. In honor of the kid me, I think next year I am dressing like Lou Grant.

Happy Halloween!

Monster Cereal Party Mix
Serves a room-full of zombies

3 cups Count Chocula (or use your favorite monster cereal)
3 cups Bugels 
2 cups pretzel sicks
2 cups Spanish peanuts6 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon chocolate hazelnut butter
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In large bowl mix cereal, Bugels, pretzels, and peanuts; set aside.

Melt butter, peanut butter, chocolate hazelnut butter, and corn syrup in saucepan and whisk in cayenne pepper until smooth. Pour over cereal and mix until well coated.

Place mixture in large roasting pan and bake in 250 degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool and serve. Store in airtight container.

If zombies are still hungry, serve Mummified Pepperoni Calzone.


Comments

Popular Posts