Panna Cotta

As many of my favorite recipes do, savory panna cotta originated from a party hosted by my friend K. K is one of those cooks who is a magician with yeast breads, finds amazing retro recipes leafing through old magazines and cookbooks, and transforms farmers market ingredients into meals I'd never even imagined. She was the first person to serve me savory bread pudding (with peppers, zucchini, onions, and tons of cheese all purchased an hour earlier from our local farmers), and the first to serve me cheesy panna cotta. Both dishes were thrown together without recipes, and I've been chasing after them ever since.

The best thing about Parmesan Panna Cotta is that it pairs perfectly with seasonal fare regardless of what season we are in. When I serve this custard I think about what I plate alongside a chunk of crystally Parmigiano-Reggiano, and use those flavors as garnish. Read more over at Called to the Table. 

Parmesan Panna Cotta
Serves 4 - 6
2 cups half-&-half
¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 envelope Knox Gelatine
Fresh ground nutmeg and black pepper

In medium saucepan bring half-&-half to simmer; stir in cheese. Remove from heat, add gelatin, and whisk until smooth. Season with nutmeg and pepper. Push pudding through wire mesh strainer and pour into buttered ramekins. Chill 4 hours.

Serve individual custards in the ramekins, or dip ramekins in hot water for 30 seconds and run a butter knife around the edges of each ramekin and invert onto plate.

Comments

Popular Posts