Cool Stuff, A Fun Journey, and Pretty Beets

Every once in a while really cool stuff happens to us, sometimes causing us to reflect on our journey. Hopefully we realize that our path is headed in the right direction. Last week I attended the Chef Marcus Samuelsson dinner hosted by Cooks of Crocus Hill. After dinner as Marcus was signing several copies of Yes, Chef for me I told him that when he was last in town, three years ago, I'd mentioned to him that I was finishing my master's degree which was inspired partially by my first meal at Aquavit. Now having completed my thesis on Swedish foodways and immigration I've had so many doors swing open. The opportunities I've had are just incredible. And I thanked him for being part of this adventure.

And so a new journey begins, as Marcus asked if I'd do some Swedish food postings for his blog. My first recipe for Rye Blini with Quick-Pickled Beets and Gravlax went up this week and you can view it at MarcusSamuelsson.com. The post only includes the Red Pickled Beet recipe but check out the recipe for Yellow Pickled Beets below. Beets can be tamed, and they are mighty tasty when paired with fragrant spices and sweetly mellow citrus. Quick Pickled beets are pretty yet sturdy, and most definitely saga worthy.

Yellow Pickled Beets
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 large golden beet, diced fine
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
Zest from 1/2 an orange
1 teaspoon salt

Bring sugar and vinegar to simmer; add beets, anise, peppercorns, and salt. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes (shorter for a good crunch, longer for softer beets). Remove from heat and add ¾ cups ice. Chill until serving.

Comments

Popular Posts