More Fun With Bacon


I recorded the events that took place in late autumn when friends and I cooked up multiple batches of jalapeno and habanero jellies, and my exhausted geriatric stove exploded. During the chaos some jars were labelled "pepper jelly" and some went without any label. As I wrapped the jam for Christmas presents, I wasn't sure who was getting HOT jelly and who was getting mild. Kind of an exciting surprise!

Some recipients were unsure how to use the jelly outside of glopping it over cream cheese and serving with crackers (a fine use of any pepper jelly but not terribly creative). I suggested adding it to stir fry for a quick sweet and sour hot sauce, or using it in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. But this weekend I came up with another use: glazing bacon.

This sweet hot bacon is great alone, in a BLT, or tucked into grilled cheese sandwiches. Rather than frying bacon, I usually bake it in a 350 degree oven on a rack over a cake pan. The drippings collect away from the meat which allows even cooking, and the bacon cooks in nice even strips with no annoying curls.

Jalapeno (or Possibly Habanero) Jelly Glazed Bacon
12 strips bacon
1/3 cup jalapeno jelly, heated on medium low heat until it just becomes syrup

Cook bacon over rack in 350 degree oven until almost crisp, about 15 minutes. Flip strips and brush about half the jelly over each piece. Return to oven for 5 minutes. Flip bacon again and brush remaining jelly over strips. Return to oven final 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp and jelly has melted into it.

Comments

Popular Posts