It's Like Buttah


For the first time in my adult life I ran out of butter. How did this happen?! I am nothing less than diligent when it comes to stocking crucial kitchen staples: butter, dish soap, wine, chicken stock, and chocolate. I discovered the butter blight just as the hot French loaf came out of the oven. I poked around the butterless refrigerator shelves and thought of the Norwegians who are still recovering from the December butter crisis. Then I poured some good olive out onto a plate, added a few shears of Parm-Reg, lots of cracked pepper, and a swirl of aged balsamic.

If you spent any time dining out during the 90s you might recall the olive oil trend. It was pre-Adkins and starches were still popular. Bread baskets were a prerequisite whether you visited Sidney's, Murray's, or Rock Bottom. Then all things Mediterranean hit our plates, and butter disappeared. I spent the first half of the 90s obediently dipping my bread into oil. I spent the later half of the 90s belligerently asking my servers, "Can you please bring butter to our table?"

Honestly, the olive oil bread bath last night was actually a nice change. But I'll be restocking the butter immediately.

Comments

frimp said…
Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter! Butter!
frimp said…
Olive oil is pretty good too though...
frimp said…
Or mustard on Pretzels!
frimp said…
Sorry, but the butter blog really speaks to me...
patrice said…
ah frimp, a man who loves his butter is a man who can eat at my table any time.
Mrs. L said…
Butter is one of my four major food groups, but I do admit, I still love to dip some crusty bread into good olive oil (with some Maldon salt added of course).
patrice said…
Salt and a bit of hot pepper! Also I think it depends on the bread...

Popular Posts