Pizza Blogging


A friend confided that she was "pizza-ed out" after she had eaten pizza three times during a two week period. That struck me as funny. There was a 16-month period during college when I worked at St. Anthony Main's American Pie Pizzeria and survived on pizza two to three times a day. Pizza sustained me (supplemented with a hardy supply of ramen noodles), and I never ever felt pizza-ed out.

I could still consume daily doses of the stuff. The only thing stopping me now is an awareness that I no longer possess the metabolism of a 20-year old. But, gosh I love pizza, and I want to remind you of one of my favorites. The first time friends offered me their wax bean, Thai basil, ginger, and white cheddar pizza I thought they'd lost their minds.  What a weird combination! After one taste, I was hooked.

As you stroll along the aisles of your local farmers market this weekend you will see an abundance of green, yellow, and purple beans. Grab a large carton along with a bunch of Thai basil, garlic, and a block of Wisconsin white cheddar (Eichten's cheddar is also great). You'll also need fresh ginger, mozzarella, olive oil, and uncooked pizza dough.

When you get home, light the grill, roll the pizza dough thin, and prep the remaining ingredients. Toss green, yellow, and purple beans with several tablespoon grated ginger, garlic, and Thai basil. Shred the cheeses. Bring everything, including the oil, out to the grill.  Oil the grate and cook one side of the pizza dough. Remove it from the heat once grill marks appear and the uncooked side bubbles. Top the grilled side with a light coating of oil, then the cheeses and bean-spice-herb combination. Return pizza to the grill and cover. Cook until cheese melts.


Comments

Popular Posts