Tangerine Gravlax


At Julbord this weekend I'll be greedy and gather up all the gravlax and herring I can fit on my plate, and leave Jansson's Temptation for the folks who like to fill up on starches.  That first buffet of cold fish dishes and cheese and eggs is the big ticket in my foodie opinion, and I can hardly wait to enjoy every morsel.  Meanwhile I am feasting on this homemade gravlax. 

When preparing cured salmon I typically emphasize the flavors of the season.  At Jul, tangerines are abundant so I add them to the sugar, salt, pepper, and dill cure.  Then, I add that same citrus flavor to mustard sauce, and serve the salmon with little salads of tangerine sections and fennel.

Tangerine Gravlax
1 1/2 pounds sushi quality salmon fillet, skin on
2 cups sugar
1 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
Several sprigs dill
1-2 tangerines, sliced

Combine dry ingredients and rub into salmon on both sides.  Lay salmon in glass dish and completely encase in the salt and dill mixture.  Place tangerine slices over mixture.  Wrap in plastic and allow to rest at room temperature 4-6 hours.  Refrigerate salmon additional 36 hours.  The cure will liquify during curing process.

Rinse, pat dry with paper towels, and slice paper thin.




Comments

Popular Posts