Soup and Salad on Hot Summer Nights

Chilled Tomato-Pepper Soup

Sunday night I made the first gazpacho of the season.  It was cool and refreshing but not a pretty color.  Last night I made chilled soups using similar ingredients to gazpacho, but I divided the green and red ingredients and served them in separate bowls.  For the green soup blend until smooth: cucumbers, avocado, green chili peppers, green bell pepper, green onion, yoghurt, lime juice, lots of your favorite fresh herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper (and a pinch of sugar).  Add water or chicken broth if the blend is too thick.  For the red soup blend until smooth: red bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes, lemon juice or red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Carrot-Shrimp Salad

My favorite salad on a hot summer night is something my mom used to make for a special treat.  Grate lots of carrots and a bit of onion and celery.  Combine the vegetables with a mayo-vinegar-sugar dressing.  Add lots of good cooked shrimps.  Serve over Fried Potato Sticks.  My version includes thin sliced red pepper, and a good dollop of quick pickled cucumbers and tomatoes on the side (made with plenty of dill).  When I was a kid my mom served this salad with warm buttered biscuits, thick slices of Colby cheese, sweet baked beans, and a crunchy dill pickle.

Comments

stephaniesays said…
my mouth is watering - i miss your summery cold soups and i REALLY miss that shrimp salad!

Popular Posts