Imports: Bialy and Gouda



Bialy (from Kossar's Bialystoker Kuchen Bakery in NYC)

Bialys get compared to bagels a lot; probably because they are round, have a filled center rather than a hole, have a Jewish origin (by way of Poland according to Wiki), and the best American ones come from New York City.  Unlike bagels, bialys are only baked, not boiled. The filled center is typically stuffed with onions or some other delectable such as garlic or poppy seeds.  The dough is dense and hearty.

When a friend presented me with a bialy he brought from Kossar's last week I spent an hour just inhaling the bready onion perfume.  Then I realized I wasn't sure how to eat it.  Toasted?  With cream cheese or butter?  I opted for both toasting and butter.  The result transported me.



My sister frequently travels to Europe and often brings back chocolates, tulips, clothes, and cheese. My favorite cheese is any Gouda from Holland. Recently she sent me home with this prize:


Aged 1 - 6 years, I prefer the eldest versions (the 48+ refers to fat percentile).  My cheese guy offers a generous variety of aged Goudas, but there is a deeper satisfaction when I bite into the bona fide, sister-approved wedge.

Comments

Popular Posts